Saturday, December 15, 2012

Connecticut

I'm sure you all have been and will continue to join me in praying for the victims of the Connecticut shooting and their families.

Perhaps it's because I'm getting older and am beginning to realize my own mortality, and the mortality of those that I love. Or perhaps, and more likely, it's because I've become a mother and have assigned a whole new value and meaning to the concept of life. News reports like I heard and read of yesterday...they used to make me sad in the removed sort of way that physical and emotional distance from the subject provides. But as a mother, and, my God, as a human being, I found myself utterly horrified, horrified, at the sickening capabilities of certain people. At the kind of person who can end so, so many lives that had barely even begun.

And maybe it's because I can imagine what those parents must be feeling that I was affected so deeply when I heard what had happened. Before, I could not conceive of such a tragedy as the loss of child, when I had none to lose. I hope and I pray that those parents can find some semblance of solace in their families and friends.

Truly, if there's any good to be drawn from the most devastating of situations, it is in the way loved ones - and sometimes even strangers - ban together to help each other through crises. Let's do our part by sending up our prayers on behalf of those who passed yesterday, and those left behind to deal with the terrible loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment