Wednesday, May 8, 2013

fave five

Intermingling myself with a host of more creatives over at The Camp in lieu of The Moxie this week. Let's see...

1/ I'm gonna have to go with Dweej's latest - I'm sure you've heard. It's a kind of horrifying story for about 2 1/2 minutes but hang in there. It's good news (with a request for prayers, please!).

2/ BDG skinnies


Ohohoho, my legs do not look like this. Never have they, and it's an excellent bet to say they never will. And actually, the link is to something similar to the jeans I have, not identical. (Mine are really old.) As with all my fashionable and slightly more expensive clothing (although the link takes you to a sale item!!), I got my skinnies as a hand-me-up from one of my sisters. She's 6 feet tall. There are a few more rolls of fabric at the bottom of my jeans than shown above.

Here's what's great about these: they still fit me. Have you seen me lately? Only the last time I wore them (yesterday) did I have to employ the ol' rubber band and button over the belly trick. (If you've ever been pregnant, you know the one.) The legs still fit so comfy, and I'm not wearing maternity jeans yet! I feel so accomplished. In fact, I think it should be added to Mr. Bingley's list:

"All young ladies are accomplished. They sing, they draw, they dance, speak French and German, cover screens, wear non-maternity jeans when they're six months pregnant, and I know not what."

3/ Grapefruit


'Tis the season. Summer fruits are cropping up, and they are really some of my favorites. Don't get me started on watermelon while pregnant. I just snarf it. Anyway, grapefruit. Trader Joe's is carrying some gargantuan ruby reds right now for 99 cents (can't say "99 cents" anymore without thinking of Thrift Shop - "but sh-, it was 99 cents!!" *and that link is not to an edited version of the song FYI*) and they also have slightly less humongo pink grapefruits for $4 a bag with 6-7 in each. I picked up some rubies for work, and mmmmm.

But I'm the luckiest. My parents have a grapefruit tree and my brother is obsessive about keeping fresh-squeezed juice around the house constantly. Which I'm sure has nothing to do with his penchant for Greyhounds (grapefruit juice + vodka). I just pop by my parents' on the regular and drink a fattie glass of the most delicious vitamins you ever will have.

4/ Carry On by fun.


No, I know I'm late to the fun. game. I actually don't like them all that much, but I can't get enough of Carry On. I watched the video and it totally threw me for a loop. I was envisioning the singer as some guy that looked like a young Michael Jackson because...I kind of think he sounds like a young Michael Jackson. Nope. Super skinny white kid in suspenders. Anyway I like this song because that whole Irish prayer influence totally works in this context. Weird right? 

May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground, and carry on.

Jordan and I rock out. She's got moves I can only dream of.



The idea behind The Dessy Group is to coordinate your bridal party's dresses, ties, vest, accessories, what-have-you, all on the same website. They have a million colors. That's false advertising; they have very very many colors. I used them to buy my maids flip flops for our wedding reception so they could dance their buns off comfortably. I bought some for myself too, and only 2 1/2 years later of cooooonstant use are they starting to show wear and tear. So, even though I'm not getting married anymore, I'm going to re-buy some flips from Dessy. They're $16.50, which seems about par for the course - and I would venture to say eagle for the course since they lasted me such a good while. I want these ones in "apple slice."

...Are flip flops not "in"? Probably not. I should maybe invest in some good Grecian sandals or...I don't know...Birkenstocks? Those are boho/alt-alt-indie right? Whatever, I'll blame it on my Southern California heritage and to hell with it. I'm wearing flip flops.

Ok so peek on over at Camp Patton to get your fill of ever so many more Wednesday favorites. Good chatting with you.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not even sure Birkenstocks are in! I have two pairs that were gifted to me and I love them. But I saw some fashion blogger that I won't name because I don't want to give her more traffic because her writing is awful and, yes, she's pretty but that shouldn't matter (OBVIOUSLY she's not as good as me with my run-on sentences), but she said on her Instagram not to "make fun of the birks" she was wearing. So, apparently, they aren't cool and I will need to tell people to not make fun of me when I wear mine.

    The Brayn of Chalayn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a wedding in a few weeks and our dresses are in "apple slice." Maybe I should snack a pair of the flip-flops...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need those red Supergas! Awesome pictures! I am running a giveaway on my blog right now where the winner could get their favorite item from Mentirosas, and thought you'd be interested;)! Mentirosas is an awesome online clothing store! If you haven't checked it out before you definitely should! I think you'll love it! Everything is hand-made in Spain!

    Here is the link, I think you should participate;)!
    Mentirosas GIVEAWAY on InstantMilk!

    xx

    ReplyDelete