Wednesday, November 13, 2013

fave five

I'm joining Hallie today like I haven't done in oh-so-long. I managed to scrape up some favorites and thought I'd throw them at you, pop-fly style.

1// Pumpkin Spice Latte, I don't know you man. Starbucks, in signature Starbucksian fashion, rolled out their red holiday cups and flavors on November 1. After I rolled my eyes a few times whilst standing in line and had some internal uppity fit of conscience, I promptly ordered a Caramel Brulee latte because hi, I'm Jessie, and I'm with the Bandwagon.



FYI, this is the most wonderful concoction of coffee that has been beaten into caramely-sweet submission, that it may be thoroughly enjoyed by one, coffee-intolerant Jessie Pope, while simultaneously giving her the caffeine-sugar speedball she needs by 9 a.m.

2// Pretty Little Liars


Ok first off, this show is pretty dang good. Equal parts intrigue, thrills and teen drama - you know, all the good stuff. So I like it. But Sean - Sean loves it. (How's that Greyhound's carburetor taste under there Sean?) Our internet has been vying between spotty and nonexistent for about a week now, so we haven't been able to watch it very frequently. Sean kind of shuffles around the apartment whimpering "two can keep a secret if one of them is dead."

Me, I'm only just getting started on this Breaking Bad business. What? I'm only 5 years late. I'm squirmy about violence and I've walked in on my siblings or Sean watching some rather horrifying scenes that have scared me off entirely. But after much peer pressure and a healthy dose of curiosity, I've begun the Breaking journey during afternoon breastfeeding sessions. Jordan's napping during those ones, and I don't think she'd be much interested in the intellectual properties of Jesse Pinkman and his ebonics, nor the complex (and disturbing) character development of Walter White at any rate. She's on a Thomas the Tank Engine jag anyhow, so it's all shunting trucks and hauling freight for this toddler. 

It turns out, I managed to walk in on nearly all the most gruesome scenes clear through season two (um, ATM episode? Tortoise episode?) so I had already seen the worst of it already.

3// Hard Cider

I've been trying my hand at several different brands of cider. Target actually carries a few kinds, and the past several weeks has seen me inconspicuously slipping a 6-pack in our cart, only to have my 2 year old blurt to all nearby shoppers "Mommy beer? That your beer mommy?" Anyway, the best one so far is

Angry Orchard's Cinnful Apple

which apparently is seasonal and I will be SO SAD when it's not around. It is delicious and has a mild spiciness that just rocks the casbah.

4// Persimmons


I eat these like candy. I'm so sad their season is such a short one. I've been stocking up at Trader Joe's and farmer's markets because they are just. too. good. Does anyone have any good recipes you do with persimmons? I feel that these bad boys could really be utilized in a bread or some delicious baked good.

5// Morning Weston


By far this boy's best time of day is in the 6 a.m. hour. He is at his most.. inquisitive? (read: clueless), and definitely at his smiliest in the bright and early. He just kind of coos something cute while I play with his bulldog jowls and we have a grand old time. I can't say this waking hour is ideal, since the boy is still down with bad self at any given hour of the night, but he makes it pleasant at the very least. Thanks buddy.

That's it for me! Swing by Hallie and the gals' for more.

5 comments:

  1. I, too, rolled my eyes when I saw the red cups so early. But one sip of a Peppermint Mocha and I am converted. It's all I can do to not have one every day of the week.

    How do you eat persimmons? Just raw? Totally ignorant over here.

    That picture of Weston is priceless! :) I love when little babies seem to have so much sass. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mommy beer"- haha. that cracked me up! of course it's mommy's beer- if only target would get on board and let you crack one open. i loved your fav fives! i will have to try that angry orchard, the name does make me smile. the only thing this post was missing was a pic of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of those black coffee drinkers, but I have to say that that one sounds pretty good.

    I used to have a persimmon cookie recipe. I'll have to see if I can locate it for you. I think you are the first person I know who likes them.

    Love the clueless look!!!! Those early hours are worth it when you get those smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 - I feel as if we have similar taste in sugared up coffee, so maybe I'd like this caramel brulee. I've tried the peppermint mocha twice now and it's too minty and too sweet. #firstworldproblems

    #2 - PLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it so much. Couldn't get my husband interested though, so you are lucky. Also, Breaking Bad is the greatest. I've found that my two favorite types of shows are polar opposites: teen dramas and dark shows with drugs/violence.

    #3 - I tried this at a Halloween party a few weeks back (oh, crap... did I ever tell you what we dressed up as for Halloween? If not, I will send you some photos) and I loved it! Like my coffee, I only like my alcohol sweet and covered up, so this was a nice drink for me.

    #4 - Persimmons? I've seen them at the store but have been too afraid to try them. How do you even eat them? :)

    #5 - He's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Wes is now one of my fave fives. I'm disappointed, however, that Breaking Bad did not make the cut...

    ReplyDelete